By now we should all know just how monumentally full of shit President Donald Trump is when he pretends to disavow white nationalists.
Now we have Trump’s true feelings about the controversy surrounding the removal of Confederate monuments via, what else? Twitter!
“Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments.
“You can’t change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson – who’s next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish!
“Also the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced! “
I am rarely at a loss for words, but I find myself now frustratingly laconic over just how embarrassed I am. This is the ignorance we have allowed into the nation’s highest office.
I have been saying since last year Trump is dangerous.
- He has threatened North Korea with nuclear annihilation.
- He denies climate change and is racing to roll-back crucial environmental regulations it took years to establish, such as withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords.
- He is reversing course on LGBT equality.
- He has proposed “merit-based” immigration requirements that undermine our nation’s philosophy.
- He is emboldening jihadist extremism by authorizing airstrikes killing record numbers of civilians.
- He is not just deporting “bad hombres,” but law-abiding people contributing to our economy.
- He wants to end net neutrality.
- He undermines public education, affirmative action, and our standing with other countries.
Let’s not forget Russian involvement in our election that helped get Trump where he is. As the walls close in, it looks increasingly likely his campaign colluded with Russia.
Mere months into his administration, he is also dialing back decades of racial progress.
His doubling-down on Tuesday’s remarks that some Charlottesville demonstrators had legitimate grievances over losing their Southern “history,” that “both sides” are to blame, is not just ignorant and embarrassing. It stokes centuries of racial unrest that countless Americans died to quell.
His job is to take the moral high ground. That’s what a president is supposed to do. It is one of the tasks he had no idea was going to be so hard
In Germany, it is illegal to display any symbols of the Nazi party. There are no swastikas unfurled from the beds of pick-up trucks or on decorative license plates, no statues to Hitler, Himmler, Rommel, or Mengele.
Germany acknowledges its history by teaching its students the brutal truth about their country’s past.
We could do that here as well.
Decrying racism and intolerance shouldn’t be hard–unless you’re Trump.
And therein lies yet another reason why he is unfit for the office of president.
Where it will go from here we can only guess, but I have a feeling this will be his political undoing.
Featured Image Via YouTube Video.